Description / Notes
Heritage Corner is located along Front Street in Downtown Quesnel where the Quesnel and Fraser Rivers meet. Once the original village of the Lhtako Dene Nation, it serves special symbolic importance to the community. It features interpretive and commemorative signage and many original historical artifacts including:
- Water Wheel: A replicate of the Cornish wheel used at Williams Creek in Barkerville. The wooden structure was completely restored in 2016, incorporating the original metal pieces such as the axel and crank arm.
- Hudson’s Bay Building: Built in 1866, this historic building was was owned and operated by the Hudson’s Bay Company for 54 years. Since the store's closing, the building has received several restorations and now serves as a successful local artisan shop Cariboo Keepsakes.
- Steam Shovel: Once used by the Cariboo Hydraulic Mining Company for their Bullion Mine in the early 1900s, this shovel dug a trench from Spanish Lake to the Bullion Mine.
- Fraser River Footbridge: The longest wooden truss footbridge in the world serves hundreds of pedestrians each day.
- Boiler: This boiler comes from the first steamship to arrive in Quesnel in 1863 from Alexandria, ‘The Enterprise’.
There are many more points of interest located in Heritage Corner. Pick up a Historical Walking Tour of Quesnel brochure from the museum, or check out the Heritage Register on the City of Quesnel website for more information on artifact history and locations.
Visitors wanting to visit Heritage Corner can park at Lhtako Dene Park, or in one of the parking lots located in Downtown Quesnel.